This activity will help identify the type of emulsion the samples represent by revealing the dispersed and continuous phases of the emulsion.
- Oil Red O
- Red Food Coloring
- Microscopy glass plates
- (Optional) Microscope
- On two glass microscopty plates, transfer 2-3 drops of your sample using a pipette.
- On one plate, dispense one drop of Oil Red O and on the other dispense one drop of red food coloring.
- Mix the sample and coloring well on each plate.
- Describe the color dispersion within the sample.
- (Optional) Put the plate under the microscope and observe the micelles. Which part of the sample is dyed and which part isn’t? — can you tell the dispersed phase and continuous phase?